designer and owner, Hadley Design Works, 2002–
- Design annual reports, magazines, newsletters, brochures, posters, logos, type treatments. Functioning as an independent contractor primarily for educational institutions, I work within each institution’s existing brand guildelines. Projects are initially designed for print and made available as pdfs for web download.
- Work directly with clients, writers, editors, proofreaders, photographers, printers.
- Create graphics and type treatments for print and web use.
- Software: Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
marketing team member
Cottage Street Studios, Sawmill River Arts Gallery (SRA), 2015–19
- Organized team of designers and artists to promote events. Designed publications (print), managed social media (SRA only).
assistant director/publications manager/designer
Office of College Relations, Smith College, 1985–2002
- Designed publications, directed projects, managed staff, worked directly with printers, oversaw print buying and project budgets, created original illustrations.
- Worked closely with publications team.
- Served as team leader, scheduling all stages of production.
- Supervised staff members.
- Design Awards: The Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) design/illustration awards—one gold medal, two silver, one bronze.
Smith College, Northampton, MA, 1984, B.A.
my graphic design goals
With this type of work, my responsibility is to the audience and the client. Each design decision is made to capture and maintain the reader’s attention, in order to engage, clarify, and inform. I’m very particular about use of type, layouts that guide the reader’s eye, color, white space, image … all important. Many of my clients are educational institutions, and I typically work within their existing brand guidelines. While my publications projects are often designed for print, all are available as online downloads (pdfs). And of course original graphics or illustrations can easily be made available for web use. For more information about this work, please contact me.